26 July 2017
Abahlali BaseMjondolo Movement SA Press Statement
Abahlali to seek a court interdict against the eThekwini Municipality
On Sunday the elected leaders of seven new Abahlali baseMjondolo branches were inducted into ubuhlali. The new branches are in Nagina (Phase 2), Metlock, eTafuleni, uMkomaas, Cato Crest and KwaNdengezi.
Tomorrow, on Thursday, 27th July, we will proceed to the Durban High Court to seek a court interdict against the evictions that are being carried by the eThekwini’s notorious Anti-Land Invasion Unit. Continue reading
14 July 2017
Abahlali baseMjondolo Press Statement
Justice for Nqobile Nzuza: Police Officer Convicted of Murder
On 30 September, 2013 Nqobile Nzuza was murdered by the South African police in Cato Crest. She was shot from behind while participating in a protest organised around a road blockade. She was seventeen years old when she was murdered. The protest that she was participating in had been organised by residents of the Marikana Land Occupation after repeated evictions, always illegal and often violent. Nqobile was the third person to lose her life in the struggle for land and against repression from the ruling party and the state in Cato Crest in 2013. Thembinkosi Qumbelo was assassinated on 15 March 2013 and Nkululeko Gwala was assassinated on 26 June 2013. Continue reading
Friday, 20 May 2016
Abahlali baseMjondolo press statement
Justice for Thuli Ndlovu!
Breaking news: ANC Councillors Velile Lutyeku and Mduduzi Ngcobo, along with their hitman Mlungisi Ndlovu have been found guilty of murdering Thuli Ndlovu in the Durban High Court.
Today, the Durban High Court has found that all three accused are guilty on count one of murdering Thuli Ndlovu. They were also all found guilty of conspiring to murder Thuli Ndlovu and accused number one Mlungisi Ndlovu, the gunman was further sentenced to 12 years for attempted murder. This was because when Thuli Ndlovu was assassinated Sphesihle Madlala was shot at his stomach but survived. When Ploos van Amstel J handed down the judgement he said that the community is not safe if the three were to be allowed back in the community.
By: DUNCAN GUY and SASHA VAN NIEKERK, Independent on Saturday
Durban – The authenticity of correspondence under an ANC letterhead took centre stage, in the Durban High Court on Friday, in the trial of two suspended ANC councillors and a man they allegedly hired as a hit man.
The three – Velile Lesheku, Mduduzi Ngcobo and Mlungisi Ndlovu – are charged with orchestrating the murder of Abahlali baseMjondolo leader in KwaNdengezi, Thuli Ndlovu, in September 2014. She had been vocal in her opposition to people from outside the area occupying RDP houses.
Two ANC councillors facing charges of murder are due to appear in the Durban high court on Monday.
Abahlali baseMjondolo said in a statement on Friday that the two men were alleged izinkabi (hitmen).
“We have witnessed a t least 40 people being killed in the hostels in Durban‚ particular in Umlazi and KwaMashu townships”‚ the movement said. “The provincial government has failed to act decisively to protect lives.” Continue reading