Kwanele Sosibo, Mail & Guardian
The KwaZulu-Natal department of human settlements and public works this week said it would forge ahead with plans to establish its own land invasion control unit. This follows a Durban high court ruling that forces the departments and the eThekwini municipality to obtain court orders to carry out evictions. The unit would survey and protect all land belonging to the department that has been earmarked for housing. There is already such a unit policing land owned by the municipality.
Mbulelo Baloyi, spokesperson for human settlements MEC Ravi Pillay said on Thursday they had already begun the process of identifying a service provider. Continue reading
Lee Rondganger, Daily News
KwaZulu-Natal’s Human Settlements MEC Ravi Pillay has raised the alarm that all land is at risk of invasion after the ruling in the Durban High Court last Thursday that stopped municipalities from evicting squatters without a court’s approval.
To prevent invasions the provincial government would have to throw more resources at protecting property from squatters.
The MEC voiced his concerns to the Daily News about the ruling made, which forbade the eThekwini Municipality from evicting shack dwellers in Cato Manor. It may also not destroy shacks without notice, which had been allowed by a previous ruling. Continue reading
Thursday, 30 July 2015
Abahlali baseMjondolo press statement
Road Blockade Happening in Siyanda Now
The ANC in eThekwini now support land occupations but only ANC members are allowed to build
When we began our struggle in 2005 the ANC was attempting to ‘eradicate’ shacks. We successfully opposed attempts to ‘eradicate’ numerous shack settlements in different parts of Durban and smaller towns in KwaZulu-Natal. We have also supported many land occupations which we see as the ‘peoples’ land redistribution programme’ or ‘land reform from below’ and as a form of ‘grassroots urban planning’. The ANC has long referred to land occupations, which they have called ‘land invasions’, as criminal acts and have used state violence and other forms of repression to try and prevent them. Continue reading
Wednesday, 20 May 2015
Abahlali baseMjondolo Press Statement
Back to the Durban High Court
Following several brutal and unlawful evictions at a gun point by the eThekwini Municipal Land Invasion Unit in Cato Crest (Marikana land occupation) and Lamontville (Sisonke Village) Abahlali baseMjondolo won several court interdicts against the Municipality. Each and every time we secured an interdict, or an undertaking from the Municipality to cease its illegal behaviour, the interdicts and undertakings were ignored and the Municipality continued with their violent and unlawful evictions. It is clear that the eThekwini Municipality considers itself to be above the law and impoverished black people to be beneath the law. Continue reading