Cape Town fires kill man, over 100 people left homeless
The city’s disaster management spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said the body of the 33-year-old man was found after firefighters quelled the blaze at the Siyahlala informal settlement.
He said the cause of the fire was not known, but police were investigating the matter.
Earlier in the day, another fire was reported at the same informal settlement, that left 105 people homeless.
The inferno destroyed 26 shacks.
On Saturday night, at least five shacks burnt down, leaving about 20 people displaced in other informal settlements around the city.
Solomons-Johannes said firefighters across the city were called to battle at least six incidents at the weekend.
“The city’s disaster response will… assist the affected households with the supply of food parcels, blankets, baby packs, clothing and building material, including trauma counselling to the family of the deceased person,” he said.